Re: NOTIFY in Background Worker

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: jacques klein <jacques(dot)klei(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NOTIFY in Background Worker
Date: 2015-08-28 21:03:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM, jacques klein <jacques(dot)klei(at)googlemail(dot)com
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I added a "NOFITY chan" to the SQL arg of an SPI_execute(), (I did it also
> with just the NOTIFY statement),
> but the listeners (other workers) don't get the notification until a
> "NOTIFY chan" is done for example with pgadmin,
>
> They don't get lost, just not emited after the "not forgotten" call of
> CommitTransactionCommand().
>
> Is this normal ( i.e. not supported (yet) ), a bug, or did I overlook some
> doc. (or source code) ?.
>
> For now, I will try to "emit" the NOTIFY via libpq.

That's because ProcessCompletedNotifies isn't being called. For regular
backends it is called inside the top level loop PostgresMain. I think you
need to include "commands/async.h" and add a call to
ProcessCompletedNotifies() after your background worker commits to make
this work.

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com