Re: pg11.1: dsa_area could not attach to segment

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg11.1: dsa_area could not attach to segment
Date: 2019-02-06 05:22:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 1:10 PM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
> This is a contrived query which I made up to try to exercise/stress bitmap
> scans based on Thomas's working hypothesis for this error/bug. This seems to
> be easier to hit than the other error ("could not attach to segment") - a loop
> around this query has run into "free pages" several times today.

Thanks. I'll go and try to repro this with queries that look like that.

It's possibly interesting that you're running on VMWare (as mentioned
in an off-list email), though I haven't got a specific theory about
why that'd be relevant. I suppose it could be some kind of cache
coherency bug that is more likely there for whatever reason. I've
being trying to repro on a laptop and a couple of bare metal servers.
Can anyone else who has hit this comment on any virtualisation they
might be using?

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com