Re: Valgrind failures in Apply Launcher's bgworker_quickdie() exit

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Valgrind failures in Apply Launcher's bgworker_quickdie() exit
Date: 2018-12-16 21:25:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 7:57 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> The interesting bit is that if I replace the _exit(2) in
> bgworker_quickdie() with an exit(2) (i.e. processing atexit handlers),
> or manully add an OPENSSL_cleanup() before the _exit(2), valgrind
> doesn't find errors.

Weird. Well I can see that there were bugs last year where OpenSSL
failed to clean up its thread locals[1], and after they fixed that,
cases where it bogusly cleaned up someone else's thread locals[2].
Maybe there is some interference between pthread keys or something
like that.

[1] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/3033
[2] https://github.com/openssl/openssl/issues/3584

--