Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-01-24 20:13:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:54 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> I have used Thomas' chaos-monkey-fork-process.patch to verify:
>
> 1. The problem of fork failure causing nbtsort.c to wait forever is a
> real problem. Sure enough, the coding pattern within
> _bt_leader_heapscan() can cause us to wait forever even with commit
> 2badb5afb89cd569500ef7c3b23c7a9d11718f2f, more or less as a
> consequence of the patch not using tuple queues (it uses the new
> tuplesort sharing thing instead).

Just curious: does the attached also help?

> 2. Simply adding a single call to WaitForParallelWorkersToFinish()
> within _bt_leader_heapscan() before waiting on our condition variable
> fixes the problem -- errors are reliably propagated, and we never end
> up waiting forever.

That does seem like a nice, simple solution and I am not against it.
The niggling thing that bothers me about it, though, is that it
requires the client of parallel.c to follow a slightly complicated
protocol or risk a rare obscure failure mode, and recognise the cases
where that's necessary. Specifically, if you're not blocking in a
shm_mq wait loop, then you must make a call to this new interface
before you do any other kind of latch wait, but if you get that wrong
you'll probably not notice since fork failure is rare! It seems like
it'd be nicer if we could figure out a way to make it so that any
latch/CFI loop would automatically be safe against fork failure. The
attached (if it actually works, I dunno) is the worst way, but I
wonder if there is some way to traffic just a teensy bit more
information from postmaster to leader so that it could be efficient...

--
Thomas Munro
http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
pessimistic-fork-failure-detector-v2.patch application/octet-stream 3.1 KB