Re: BUG #16959: Unnesting null from string_to_array silently removes whole rows from result

From: "Pete O'Such" <posuch(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16959: Unnesting null from string_to_array silently removes whole rows from result
Date: 2021-04-19 00:23:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thank you for the answers. I applied your first suggestion and of course
it worked well.

There's an implicit question in your email, regarding why I would think of
this outcome as a bug. Not knowing as much of the internals, after
discovering that rows had gone missing my list of things to check was
roughly: no joins, no where clause, no having clause, no grouping, no
distinct, no distinct on, and no union/intersect/except. After that, I was
down to pure trial and error to find the issue.

I get the message that the outcome was obvious to you. For me it was
startling to have a function suppress the entire row, absent those other
query elements. Even having read the note on 9.19, I struggle to see that
as a warning that all rows may disappear. I also wonder how that outcome
is consistent with this:

\pset null 'nuLL'
select 1, split_part('adfsgasf', '234', 3);
?column? | split_part
1 |
(1 row)

Even if it's perfectly sensible to you, I was caught off guard and I think
a note in the documentation alerting readers to this behavior would go a
long way in saving others from the prolonged confusion that I experienced.

Thanks again,
Pete O'Such