Re: Extending Session / Logged User info

From: Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extending Session / Logged User info
Date: 2012-01-31 14:19:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!

2012/1/31 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>

> On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 04:16 -0800, durumdara wrote:
> > Dear PGSQL Masters!
> >
> > I have a complicated question.
> >
> > Is there any way to extend the session information (what visible in
> > pgadmin's "Server Status")?
> >
> > I explain what I want to do:
> >
> > We used alternative DB in a place and I need to port this.
> > In this DB we using different db users for every real users.
> > When the program logging to the server it input for username/pwd, and
> > log with it.
> > So if John XY logged in, the session is shown as "John XY", which is a
> > real user, and db user too.
> >
> > This meaning that if we have 80 users, we need to create 80 db users.
> >
> > It is very useful when you want to see who use the db, but very tiring
> > when you want to create or manage them (plus role, etc).
> >

> Creating 80 users is not a really big burden. Managing privileges for 80
> users will be. So you need to create some roles, on which you'll
> grant/revoke privileges, and you'll make each user member of one or more
> of the roles.

This is also make problems when I don't want to install a new PGSQL server,
but they want to see the old, closed archives.
Now one solution is if I make prefixes on usernames:
main_[name]
archive1_[name]
and the program automatically set these prefixes.

But it would be easier if I can use one DB user can represent all users,
and I can make differents on them with extending session info (additional
"fields").

main_user
archive1_user
archive2_user