Re: MERGE ... RETURNING

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet(at)singh(dot)im>, Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MERGE ... RETURNING
Date: 2024-03-10 15:22:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 at 08:41, <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de> wrote:

> I can't judge the grammar and complexity issues, but as a potential user
> it seems to me to be less complex to have multiple RETURNING clauses,
> where I could inject my own constants about the specific actions, than
> to have to deal with any of the suggested functions / clauses. More
> repetitive, yes - but not more complex.
>
> More importantly, I could add RETURNING to only some of the actions and
> not always all at the same time - which seems pretty useful to me.

I think that would be a bad idea, since it would mean the number of
rows returned would no longer match the number of rows modified, which
is a general property of all data-modifying commands that support
RETURNING. It would also increase the chances of bugs for users who
might accidentally miss a WHEN clause.

Looking back over the thread the majority opinion seems to be:

1). Have a single RETURNING list, rather than one per action
2). Drop the "clause number" function
3). Call the other function MERGE_ACTION()

And from an implementation point-of-view, it seems better to stick
with having a new node type to handle MERGE_ACTION(), and make
MERGE_ACTION a COL_NAME_KEYWORD.

This seems like a reasonable compromise, and it still allows the
specific WHEN clause that was executed to be identified by using a
combination of MERGE_ACTION() and the attributes from the source and
target relations. More functions can always be added later, if there
is demand.

Attached is a rebased patch, with those changes.

Regards,
Dean

Attachment Content-Type Size
support-merge-returning-v17.patch text/x-patch 106.0 KB