Re: WITH clause in CREATE STATISTICS

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WITH clause in CREATE STATISTICS
Date: 2017-04-22 08:08:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 21 April 2017 at 01:21, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2017 12:13 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>>>
>>> Simon just pointed out that having the WITH clause appear in the middle
>>> of the CREATE STATISTICS command looks odd; apparently somebody else
>>> already complained on list about the same. Other commands put the WITH
>>> clause at the end, so perhaps we should do likewise in the new command.
>>
>> +1 for WITH at the end; the existing syntax looks weird to me too.
>
> -1 from me

Yeah, I'm still marginally in favour of the current syntax because
it's a bit more consistent with the CREATE VIEW syntax which puts the
WITH (options) clause before the query, and assuming that multi-table
and partial statistics support do get added in the future, the thing
that the statistics get created on is going to look more like a query.

OTOH, a few people have now commented that the syntax looks weird, and
not just because of the placement of the WITH clause. I don't have any
better ideas, but it's not too late to change if anyone else does...

Regards,
Dean