Re: BUG #15623: Inconsistent use of default for updatable view

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Roger Curley <rocurley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15623: Inconsistent use of default for updatable view
Date: 2019-02-12 10:33:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 at 11:18, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 at 00:48, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > However, this is still not the end of the story, because it doesn't
> > fix the fact that, if the view has a DO ALSO rule on it, single-row
> > inserts behave differently from multi-row inserts. In that case, each
> > insert becomes 2 inserts, and defaults need to be treated differently
> > in each of the 2 queries. That's going to need a little more thought.
> >

> Here's an updated patch to handle that case.
>
> In case it's not obvious, I'm not intending to try to get this into
> next week's updates -- more time is needed to be sure of this fix.

So I did some more testing of this and I'm reasonably happy that this
now fixes the originally reported issue of inconsistent handling of
DEFAULTS in multi-row VALUES lists vs single-row ones. I tested
various other scenarios involving conditional/unconditional
also/instead rules, and I didn't find any other surprises. Attached is
an updated patch with improved comments, and a little less code
duplication.

Regards,
Dean

Attachment Content-Type Size
view-insert-null-default-fix-v5.patch text/x-patch 21.6 KB