Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes

From: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: custom function for converting human readable sizes to bytes
Date: 2016-02-15 09:16:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12/02/16 10:19, Dean Rasheed wrote:
>> This seems like a reasonable first patch for me as a committer, so
>> I'll take it unless anyone else was planning to do so.

So looking at this, it seems that for the most part pg_size_bytes()
will parse any output produced by pg_size_pretty(). The exception is
that there are 2 versions of pg_size_pretty(), one that takes bigint
and one that takes numeric, whereas pg_size_bytes() returns bigint, so
it can't handle all inputs. Is there any reason not to make
pg_size_bytes() return numeric?

It would still be compatible with the example use cases, but it would
be a better inverse of both variants of pg_size_pretty() and would be
more future-proof. It already works internally using numeric, so it's
a trivial change to make now, but impossible to change in the future
without introducing a new function with a different name, which is
messy.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Dean