Re: Planet posting policy

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planet posting policy
Date: 2012-01-30 05:21:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On 29 January 2012 18:42, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> I was trying to find a way to allow posts that aren't purely technical
> in nature. For example, if a company started a new website that
> happened to have 10TB of geo data stored in Postgres, I'd want to hear
> about it as a good example of Postgres being used in "state of the
> art" ways, even if it wasn't necessarily a post about how they did it
> in technical detail.

Are you sure that that wouldn't be allowed under our current policy?
I'd have thought that was fine, provided that it was actually useful.

I'm unsure of my position relating to relaxing those rules. I wouldn't
like to arbitrarily prevent someone from talking about a topic of
actual interest or utility to the community on the sole basis that it
mentioned proprietary software or commercial services in an incidental
or matter-of-fact fashion. That wasn't how I understood the rules to
work though.

It might be helpful if you could cite a specific incident of the
current rules tripping someone up in a way that was clearly against
the community's interest.

Bruce has a good point - the rules should be easily understood.