Re: Planet posting policy

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planet posting policy
Date: 2012-01-30 04:25:38
Lists: pgsql-www

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 10:59:29AM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We currently have a strict posting policy for planet.postgresql.org
> (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Planet_PostgreSQL), which has been
> applied in such a way that it prevents users posting anything to their
> syndicated blogs which may be remotely considered to be advertising.
> This has tripped up a number of our regular contributors in the past,
> including some senior community members who have posted technical
> content about their work which happens to be on commercial products
> around PostgreSQL.
>
> I'd like to propose relaxing this policy (or perhaps the
> interpretation of it) to allow useful content to be posted that
> happens to be centered around commercial products, whilst being
> careful to avoid pure advertising content which we certainly do not
> want (and should continue to be posted as news or pgsql-announce
> articles).

While I am not against relaxing the rules, it would be a shame if the
new rules were more vague than the old ones. The old rules, while
strict, were very easy to mentally filter; I am worried more vague
rules will lead to more uncertainty and perhaps arguments/hurt feelings.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com