Re: tuplesort memory usage: grow_memtuples

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg S <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: tuplesort memory usage: grow_memtuples
Date: 2012-11-15 19:13:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15 November 2012 18:13, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Ah, yeah. I wondered in passing about that but forgot to follow up on
> it. The problem specifically is that the intermediate result
> memtupsize * newmemtuples might overflow. I believe that the old
> memtupsize can never be more than 2^26 bytes, because the allocation
> limit is 1GB and each SortTuple is 16 bytes.

Do you mean the intermediate result of memtupsize * allowedMem? Oh,
yeah, that could overflow rather easily on a platform where long is
only 32-bit. We're multiplying the entire current allocation size of
the array by the maximum length. I guess the fact that you didn't spot
it made me overconfident. :-)

--
Peter Geoghegan http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/