Re: enhanced error fields

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: enhanced error fields
Date: 2012-07-23 10:47:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18 July 2012 19:13, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> * renamed erritem to err_generic_string
> * fixed CSVlog generation
> * new file /utils/error/relerror.c with axillary functions -
> declarations are in utils/rel.h

Why has this revision retained none of my editorialisations? In
particular, none of the documentation updates that I made were
retained.

You also haven't included changes where I attempted to make very large
ereport statements (often with verbose use of ternary conditionals)
clearer, nor have you included my adjustments to normalise the
appearance of new code to be consistent with existing code in various
ways.

You don't have to agree with all of those things of course, but you
should have at least commented on them. I didn't spend time cleaning
things up only to have those changes ignored. I'm particularly
surprised that the documentation alterations were not retained, as you
yourself asked me to make those revisions.

/* file error location */
- if (Log_error_verbosity >= PGERROR_VERBOSE)
+
{
StringInfoData msgbuf;

Why have you retained the scope here? Couldn't you have just moved the
single declaration instead?

--
Peter Geoghegan http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/