Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "ktm(at)rice(dot)edu" <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests
Date: 2012-04-14 03:21:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14 April 2012 03:01, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Realistically, I'm more worried about collisions due to inadequacies in
> the jumble calculation logic (Peter already pointed out some risk
> factors in that regard).

It's important to have a sense of proportion about the problem. The
worst thing that a collision can do is lead the DBA on a bit of a wild
goose chase. Importantly, collisions across databases and users are
impossible. I've always taken the view that aggregating query
statistics is a lossy process, and these kinds of problems seem like a
more than acceptable price to pay for low-overhead dynamic query
statistics .