Re: High-CPU consumption on information_schema (only) query

From: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: High-CPU consumption on information_schema (only) query
Date: 2016-09-10 20:27:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 9 Sep 2016 at 09:39 Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:

> On 2016-09-07 23:37:31 +0000, Robins Tharakan wrote:
> > If someone asks for I could provide SQL + EXPLAIN, but it feels
> irrelevant
> > here.
>
> Why is that? information_schema are normal sql queries, and some of them
> far from trivial.
>
> Andres

Hi Andres,

I completely agree. With 'irrelevant' I was only trying to imply that
irrespective of the complexity of the query, a replicated box was seeing
similar slowness whereas a Restored DB wasn't. It felt that the SQL itself
isn't to blame here...

In effect, I was trying to ask if I am forgetting / missing something very
obvious / important that could cause such an observation.

As others recommended, I am unable to have direct access to the production
(master / slave) instances and so GDB / stack trace options are out of
bounds at this time. I'll revert if I am able to do that.

-
thanks
robins

--