Re: pg_basebackup is taking more time than expected

From: Raghavendra Rao J S V <raghavendrajsv(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup is taking more time than expected
Date: 2018-01-15 14:57:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I am looking for the help to minimise the time taken by the pg_basebackup
utility.

As informed Earlier we are taking the backup of the database using
pg_basbackup utility using below command.

$PGHOME/bin/pg_basebackup -p 5433 -U postgres -P -v -x --format=tar --gzip
--compress=6 --pgdata=- -D /opt/backup_db

According to our previous discussion, pg_basebackup is not depend on any of
the postgresql configuration parameters. If I go for gzip format we need to
compromise on time.

We are planning to take by following below steps. Please correct me if I am
wrong.

1. Identify the larger indexes(whose size is above 256MB) and drop those
indexes. Due to this size of the database will reduce.
2. Take the backup of the database.
3. Recreate the indexes on the environment where we created the
environment which we created using the backup.

I am new to postgres database. Could you help me to construct the query to
drop and create the indexes, please?