Autovacuum and idle_session_timeout

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Autovacuum and idle_session_timeout
Date: 2021-12-30 09:18:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I've been reading the autovacuum code (the launcher and the worker) on the
14 branch. As previously, I've seen some configuration at the beginning,
especially for statement_timeout, lock_timeout and
idle_in_transaction_session_timeout, and I was surprised to discover there
was no configuration for idle_session_timeout. I'm not sure the code should
set it to 0 as well (otherwise I'd have written a patch), but, if there was
a decision made to ignore its value, I'd be interested to know the reason.
I could guess for the autovacuum worker (it seems to work in a transaction,
so it's already handled by the idle_in_transaction_timeout), but I have no
idea for the autovacuum launcher.

If it was just missed, I could write a patch this week to fix this.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.