Re: pgbench translation

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench translation
Date: 2022-04-13 10:01:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Le mer. 13 avr. 2022 à 11:29, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> a
écrit :

> On 2022-Apr-13, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>
> > Once again, I've found that there was no .po file for oid2name, pgbench,
> > and vacuumlo. I suppose that's because they are contrib applications. But
> > pgbench is no longer a contrib application. It's now located in the
> > "src/bin/pgbench" directory. So I'm wondering if it should be
> translatable?
> > If yes, I could work on that.
>
> I think pgbench should be translatable, but last I looked at the sources,
> there's *a lot* of work to put it in good shape for translatability.
> There are many messages constructed from pieces, some terminology is
> inconsistent, and other problems. If you want to work on fixing those
> problems, +1 from me -- but let's get the problems fixed ahead of
> adding it to the translation catalogs.

Yeah, I didn't look closely at pgbench's source code. Just enough to make
sure it wasn't written to be translated.

On the messages needing some fixes, I don't know if I can do it. The
terminology is quite foreign to me. Translating the man page has already
been a nightmare :)

Anyway, I'll get a look and see what I can do.

Thanks for the answer.

--
Guillaume.