Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version

From: Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version
Date: 2014-06-26 23:26:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I have spent some time reviewing the code. It applies well and PG master
branch build fine with setting extraver or keep it undefined. I have
observed the following output applying the patch i.e.

*Keeping extraver undefined* :

C:\PG\postgresql\inst_withpatch_no_extra-version>bin\psql.exe -d postgres
> psql (9.5devel)
> WARNING: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
> 8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
> page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
> Type "help" for help.
> postgres=# select version();
> version
> PostgreSQL 9.5devel, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
> (1 row)
> C:\PG\postgresql\inst_withpatch_no_extra-version>bin\initdb.exe -V
> initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel

*Setting extraver as ‘June27’* :

C:\PG\postgresql\inst_withpatch_extra-version>bin\psql -d postgres
> psql (9.5devel)
> WARNING: Console code page (437) differs from Windows code page (1252)
> 8-bit characters might not work correctly. See psql reference
> page "Notes for Windows users" for details.
> Type "help" for help.
> postgres=# select version();
> version
> PostgreSQL 9.5develJune27, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
> (1 row)
>
> C:\PG\postgresql\inst_withpatch_extra-version>bin\initdb.exe -V
> initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel

It seems that extraver information only appears when version function is
being used. If we use -V (--version) with pg utilities/binaries, it does
not include additional provided information.

Can you please guide how can I perform similar functionality via configure
script (that can be used on Unix like OS/MinGW) or It is intended for
Window specific requirement ?. Thanks.

Regards,
Muhammad Asif Naeem