Re: How to Works with Centos

From: Asif Naeem <anaeem(dot)it(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Benyamin Guedj <benyamin621(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, avital(at)twingo(dot)co(dot)il
Subject: Re: How to Works with Centos
Date: 2017-12-28 05:51:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Jaime Casanova <
jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> On 25 December 2017 at 09:39, Benyamin Guedj <benyamin621(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Upon doing so, our DevOps team in response insisted (and still insists)
> that
> > we keep using version 9.2 as it is part of the Centos 7 distribution, and
> > they believe that version to be “best practice”, even though PostgreSQL
> 9.2
> > is no longer supported.
> >
> > My question is:
> >
> > Is working with the default distribution’s version (9.2) really the “best
> > practice”, even though it is no longer supported?
> >

> clearly no, our versioning page says
> (https://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/):
> """
> The PostgreSQL project aims to fully support a major release for five
> years. After its end-of-life (EOL) month ends, a major version
> receives one final minor release. After that final minor release, bug
> fixing ceases for that major version.
> """
>
> so, if bug fixing ceases for a non-supported version it's clearly no
> "best practice" to continue using it.
>
> so you have two options:
>
> 1) use the packages from yum.postgresql.org for a supported version
> 2) get commercial support for your out-of-community-support verssion

I would like to add here, as your team seems more interested in packages
available from CentOS, there is a third option also available that might
interest you.
Along with PostgreSQL 9.2 package (default) CentOS 7 project also
provide PostgreSQL
9.6 but via Software Collections (SCL) that target similar problem that you
are facing i.e.

https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/SCL
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/sclo/x86_64/rh/rh-postgresql96/

I hope that will help. Thanks.