Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Sandeep Thakkar <sandeep(dot)thakkar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/perl extension fails on Windows
Date: 2017-07-27 16:34:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 7:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Anyways, attached is the patch that corrects this issue. The patch now
>> imports all the switches used by perl into plperl module but, after
>> doing so, i am seeing some compilation errors on Windows. Following is
>> the error observed,
>
>> SPI.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol PerlProc_setjmp
>> referenced in function do_plperl_return_next
>
> That's certainly a mess, but how come that wasn't happening before?

Earlier we were using Perl-5.20 version which i think didn't have
handshaking mechanism. From perl-5.22 onwards, the functions like
Perl_xs_handshake() or HS_KEY were introduced for handshaking purpose and
to ensure that the handshaking between plperl and perl doesn't fail, we are
now trying to import the switches used by perl into plperl. As a result of
this, macros like PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS is getting defined in plperl which
eventually opens the following definitions from XSUB.h resulting in the
compilation error.

499 #if defined(PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS) && !defined(PERL_CORE)
518 # undef ioctl
519 # undef getlogin
520* # undef setjmp*

651 # define times PerlProc_times