Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we cacheline align PGXACT?
Date: 2017-02-13 17:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi All,

I too have performed benchmarking of this patch on a large machine
(with 128 CPU(s), 520GB RAM, intel x86-64 architecture) and would like
to share my observations for the same (Please note that, as I had to
reverify readings on few client counts, it did take some time for me
to share these test-results.)

Case1: Data fits in shared buffer, Read Only workload:
For data fits in shared buffer, I have taken readings at 300 SF. The
result sheet 'results-readonly-300-1000-SF' containing the median of 3
runs is attached with this mail. In this case, I could see very good
performance improvement with the patch basically at high client counts
(156 - 256).

Case2: Data doesn't fit in shared buffer, Read Only workload:
For data doesn't fit in shared buffer, I have taken readings at 1000
SF. The result sheet 'results-readonly-300-1000-SF' is attached with
this mail. In this case, the performance improvement is not as in
Case1, Infact it just varies in the range of 2-7%. but the good thing
is that there is no regression.

Case3: Data fits in shared buffer, Read-write workload:
In this case, I could see that the tps on head and patch are very
close to each other with a small variation of (+-)3-4% which i assume
is a run-to-run variation. PFA result sheet
'results-readwrite-300-1000-SF' containing the test-results.

Case4: Data doesn't fit in shared buffer, Read-write workload:
In this case as well, tps on head and patch are very close to each
other with small variation of 1-2% which again is a run-to-run
variation. PFA result sheet 'results-readwrite-300-1000-SF' containing
the test-results.

Please note that details on the non-default guc params and pgbench is
all provided in the result sheets attached with this mail. Also, I
have not used pg_prewarm in my test script. Thank you.