Re: Identify missing publications from publisher while create/alter subscription.

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Date: 2022-02-10 09:45:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 11:53 PM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022, at 12:06 PM, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
>
> Just wondering if we should also be detecting the incorrect conninfo
> set with ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command as well. See below:
>
> -- try creating a subscription with incorrect conninfo. the command fails.
> postgres=# create subscription sub1 connection 'host=localhost
> port=5490 dbname=postgres' publication pub1;
> ERROR: could not connect to the publisher: connection to server at
> "localhost" (::1), port 5490 failed: Connection refused
> Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?
> connection to server at "localhost" (127.0.0.1), port 5490 failed:
> Connection refused
> Is the server running on that host and accepting TCP/IP connections?
>
> That's because by default 'connect' parameter is true.

So can we use this option with the ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command. I think
we can't, which means if the user sets wrong conninfo using ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION command then we don't have the option to detect it like
we have in case of CREATE SUBSCRIPTION command. Since this thread is
trying to add the ability to identify the wrong/missing publication
name specified with the ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command, can't we do the
same for the wrong conninfo?

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma.