Re: Parallel seq. plan is not coming against inheritance or partition table

From: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Parallel seq. plan is not coming against inheritance or partition table
Date: 2017-03-07 04:52:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I also think that commit didn't intend to change the behavior,
> however, the point is how sensible is it to keep such behavior after
> Parallel Append. I am not sure if this is the right time to consider
> it or shall we wait till Parallel Append is committed.
>
>> I think the problem here is that compute_parallel_worker() thinks it
>> can use 0 as a sentinel value that means "ignore this", but it can't
>> really, because a heap can actually contain 0 pages. Here's a patch
>> which does the following:
>>

> - if (heap_pages < (BlockNumber) min_parallel_table_scan_size &&
> - index_pages < (BlockNumber) min_parallel_index_scan_size &&
> - rel->reloptkind == RELOPT_BASEREL)
> + if (rel->reloptkind == RELOPT_BASEREL &&
> + ((heap_pages >= 0 && heap_pages < min_parallel_table_scan_size) ||
> + (index_pages >= 0 && index_pages < min_parallel_index_scan_size)))
> return 0;
>
> The purpose of considering both heap and index pages () for
> min_parallel_* is that even if one of them is bigger than threshold
> then we should try parallelism.

Yes, But, this is only true for normal tables not for partitioned or
inheritance tables. I think for partition table, even if one heap page
exist, we go for parallelism.

This could be helpful for parallel
> index scans where we consider parallel workers based on both heap and
> index pages. Is there a reason for you to change that condition as
> that is not even related to the problem being discussed?

I think he has changed to allow parallelism for inheritance or partition
tables. For normal tables, it won't be touched until the below if-condition
is satisfied.

*if (heap_pages < (BlockNumber) min_parallel_table_scan_size &&
index_pages < (BlockNumber) min_parallel_index_scan_size &&
rel->reloptkind == RELOPT_BASEREL) return 0;*

--
With Regards,
Ashutosh Sharma