Re: Documentation of EXCEPT ALL may have a bug

From: Pantelis Theodosiou <ypercube(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: jao(at)geophile(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation of EXCEPT ALL may have a bug
Date: 2018-02-10 13:02:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 11:59 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> PG Doc comments form wrote:
>
> > create table t(x int);
> > create table u(x int);
> >
> > insert into t values (1), (2), (2), (3), (3);
> > insert into u values (1), (2);
> >
> > select * from t except all select * from u;

> > ---
> > 3
> > 3
> > 2
> > (3 rows)
>
> I find this pretty odd behavior. Is this not an outright bug? I
> haven't read the SQL standard on this matter[*], but if they define
> EXCEPT ALL to work like this, then it seems pretty useless. (Maybe they
> just didn't intend EXCEPT ALL to be useful?) If this is indeed the
> case, maybe we should amend the docs not only to explain this behavior
> but also to warn against the construct.

I think that's the way it is defined (but I agree, I don't remember ever
seeing a use for it)

> [*] I didn't try terribly hard, but couldn't actually find where the
> behavior is defined. What I have on hand is a draft of SQL:2011 where
> this appears to be defined in 7.13 <query expression> but I was unable
> to find the rules for set operations. It refers to 9.12 Grouping
> operations but that defines conformance rules only.
>
> --

I may have a different version but I see:

iii)
T contains the following rows:
1) Let R be a row that is a duplicate of some row in ET1 or of some row in
ET2 or both. Let
m be the number of duplicates of R in ET1 and let n be the number of
duplicates of R in
ET2, where m ≥ 0 and n ≥ 0.
2) If DISTINCT is specified or implicit, then ....

3) If ALL is specified, then
Case:
A) If UNION is specified, then the number of duplicates of R that T
contains is (m + n).
B) If EXCEPT is specified, then the number of duplicates of R that T
contains is the
maximum of (m – n) and 0 (zero).
C) If INTERSECT is specified, then the number of duplicates of R that T
contains is the
minimum of m and n.