Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types

From: Emre Hasegeli <emre(at)hasegeli(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Floating point comparison inconsistencies of the geometric types
Date: 2016-09-29 08:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, those two results are not contradictory -- notice that you
> switched the order of the values in the comparison. I don't think
> you've really found the explanation yet.

I am sorry I copy-pasted the wrong example:

"select_views" test runs:

> SELECT name, #thepath FROM iexit ORDER BY 1, 2

and expects to get rows in this order:

> I- 580 Ramp | 8
> I- 580/I-680 Ramp | 2

with the collation on my laptop, this is actually true:

> regression=# select 'I- 580 Ramp' < 'I- 580/I-680 Ramp';
> ?column?
> (1 row)

on the Linux server I am testing, it is not:

> regression=# select 'I- 580 Ramp' < 'I- 580/I-680 Ramp';
> ?column?
> (1 row)

The later should be the case on your environment as the test was also
failing for you. This is not consistent with the expected test
result. Do you know how this test can still pass on the master?