Re: Add session statistics to pg_stat_database

From: Soumyadeep Chakraborty <soumyadeep2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Ahsan Hadi <ahsan(dot)hadi(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add session statistics to pg_stat_database
Date: 2020-09-24 21:38:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Laurenz,

Thanks for submitting this! Please find my feedback below.

* Are we trying to capture ONLY client initiated disconnects in
m_aborted (we are not handling other disconnects by not accounting for
EOF..like if psql was killed)? If yes, why?

* pgstat_send_connstats(): How about renaming the "force" argument to
"disconnected"?

*
> static TimestampTz pgStatActiveStart = DT_NOBEGIN;
> static PgStat_Counter pgStatActiveTime = 0;
> static TimestampTz pgStatTransactionIdleStart = DT_NOBEGIN;
> static PgStat_Counter pgStatTransactionIdleTime = 0;
> static bool pgStatSessionReported = false;
> bool pgStatSessionDisconnected = false;

I think we can house all of these globals inside PgBackendStatus and can
follow the protocol for reading/writing fields in PgBackendStatus.
Refer: PGSTAT_{BEGIN|END}_WRITE_ACTIVITY

Also, some of these fields are not required:

I don't think we need pgStatActiveStart and pgStatTransactionIdleStart -
instead of these two we could use
PgBackendStatus.st_state_start_timestamp which marks the beginning TS of
the backend's current state (st_state). We can look at that field along
with the current and to-be-transitioned-to states inside
pgstat_report_activity() when there is a transition away from
STATE_RUNNING, STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION or
STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION_ABORTED, in order to update pgStatActiveTime and
pgStatTransactionIdleTime. We would also need to update those counters
on disconnect/PGSTAT_STAT_INTERVAL timeout if the backend's current
state was STATE_RUNNING, STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION or
STATE_IDLEINTRANSACTION_ABORTED (in pgstat_send_connstats())

pgStatSessionDisconnected is not required as it can be determined if a
session has been disconnected by looking at the force argument to
pgstat_report_stat() [unless we would want to distinguish between
client-initiated disconnects, which I am not sure why, as I have
brought up above].

pgStatSessionReported is not required. We can glean this information by
checking if the function local static last_report in
pgstat_report_stat() is 0 and passing this on as another param
"first_report" to pgstat_send_connstats().

* PGSTAT_FILE_FORMAT_ID needs to be updated when a stats collector data
structure changes and we had a change in PgStat_StatDBEntry.

* We can directly use PgBackendStatus.st_proc_start_timestamp for
calculating m_session_time. We can also choose to report session uptime
even when the report is for the not-disconnect case
(PGSTAT_STAT_INTERVAL elapsed). No reason why not. Then we would need to
pass in the value of last_report to pgstat_send_connstats() -> calculate
m_session_time to be number of time units from
PgBackendStatus.st_proc_start_timestamp for the first report and then
number of time units from the last_report for all subsequent reports.

* We would need to bump the catalog version since we have made
changes to system views. Refer: #define CATALOG_VERSION_NO

Regards,
Soumyadeep (VMware)