Re: gaussian distribution pgbench -- splits v4

From: Mitsumasa KONDO <kondo(dot)mitsumasa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench -- splits v4
Date: 2014-07-31 01:00:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> I've committed the changes to pgbench.c and the documentation changes
>> with some further wordsmithing.
>>

> Ok, thanks a lot for your reviews and your help with improving the
> documentation.

Yeah, thanks for all relative members.

> I don't think including the other changes in patch A is a good idea,
>>

> Fine. It was mostly for testing and checking purposes.

Hmm... It doesn't have harm for pgbench source code. And, in general,
checking script is useful for avoiding bug.

nor am I in favor of patch B.

> Yep.

No, patch B is still needed. Please tell me the reason. I don't like
deciding by someones feeling,
and it needs logical reason. Our documentation is better than the past. I
think it can easy to understand decile probability.
This part of the discussion is needed to continue...

Would providing these as additional contrib files be more acceptable?
> Something like "tpc-b-gauss.sql"... Otherwise there is no example available
> to show the feature.

I agree the test script and including command line options. It's not harm,
and it's useful.

Best regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO