Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?

From: P C <puravc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Estimating HugePages Requirements?
Date: 2021-06-10 02:03:39
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

I agree, its confusing for many and that confusion arises from the fact
that you usually talk of shared_buffers in MB or GB whereas hugepages have
to be configured in units of 2mb. But once they understand they realize its
pretty simple.

Don, we have experienced the same not just with postgres but also with
oracle. I havent been able to get to the root of it, but what we usually do
is, we add another 100-200 pages and that works for us. If the SGA or
shared_buffers is high eg 96gb, then we add 250-500 pages. Those few
hundred MBs may be wasted (because the moment you configure hugepages, the
operating system considers it as used and does not use it any more) but
nowadays, servers have 64 or 128 gb RAM easily and wasting that 500mb to
1gb does not hurt really.

HTH