Using indexes for ORDER BY and PARTITION BY clause in windowing functions

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Using indexes for ORDER BY and PARTITION BY clause in windowing functions
Date: 2013-10-23 14:43:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was dealing with windowing function recently. I feel they are pretty
useful and quite handy in lot of operations.

I am not sure why but my PostgreSQL does not seem to be using indexes for
ORDER BY clause or PARTITION BY CLAUSE which I use with windowing function.
I have tried ORDER BY and GROUP BY clauses in a normal sql statement and
they seem to use indexes nicely.

Is this being already considered for development?

Best Regards,
*Sameer Kumar | Database Consultant*
*ASHNIK PTE. LTD.*