Re: Critical failure of standby

From: Sameer Kumar <sameer(dot)kumar(at)ashnik(dot)com>
To: James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Critical failure of standby
Date: 2016-08-16 05:15:49
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 1:10 PM James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)jirotech(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I understand that.
>
> But a hot standby should always be ready to promote (given it originally
> caught up) right?
>
> I think it's a moot point really as some sort of corruption has been
> introduced, the machines still won't wouldn't start after they could see
> the archive destination again.

Did you had a pending basebackup on the standby or a start backup (with no
matching stop backup)?

Was there a crash/immediate shutdown on the standby during this network
outage? Do you have full page writes/fsync disabled?

> Cheers,
>
> James Sewell,
> Solutions Architect
>

> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf, 26-32 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW 2009
> *P *(+61) 2 8099 9000 <(+61)%202%208099%209000> *W* www.jirotech.com
> *F *(+61) 2 8099 9099 <(+61)%202%208099%209000>
>
> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM, John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/15/2016 7:23 PM, James Sewell wrote:
>>
>>> Those are all good questions.
>>>
>>> Essentially this is a situation where DR is network separated from Prod
>>> - so I would expect the archive command to fail. I'll have to check the
>>> script it must not be passing the error back through to PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>> This still shouldn't cause database corruption though right? - it's just
>>> not getting WALs.
>>>

>> if the slave database is asking for the WAL's, it needs them. if it needs
>> them and can't get them, then it can't catch up and start.
>>

>> --
>> john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz
>>

>> --
>>

> ------------------------------
> The contents of this email are confidential and may be subject to legal or
> professional privilege and copyright. No representation is made that this
> email is free of viruses or other defects. If you have received this
> communication in error, you may not copy or distribute any part of it or
> otherwise disclose its contents to anyone. Please advise the sender of your
> incorrect receipt of this correspondence.

Best Regards
Sameer Kumar | DB Solution Architect
*ASHNIK PTE. LTD.*

101 Cecil Street, #11-11 Tong Eng Building, Singapore 069 533

T: +65 6438 3504 | M: +65 8110 0350

Skype: sameer.ashnik | www.ashnik.com