Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, "SUNDAY A(dot) OLUTAYO" <olutayo(at)sadeeb(dot)com>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Chris Ernst <cernst(at)zvelo(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linux Distribution Preferences?
Date: 2013-01-16 12:00:56
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 08:46:58PM -0700, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> The reasons to NOT use ubuntu under PostgreSQL are primarily that 1:
>> they often choose a pretty meh grade kernel with performance
>> regressions for their initial LTS release. I.e. they'll choose a
>> 3.4.0 kernel over a very stable 3.2.latest kernel, and then patch away
>> til the LTS becomes stable. This is especially problematic the first
>> 6 to 12 months after an LTS release.

I wouldn't call it a reason not to use Ubuntu, but a reason why you
might want to use the previous LTS release. The kernel chosen needs to
be supported for 5 years, yet remain stable enough for the supported
application releases to be supported for 5 years.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> This really sums it up for me. Do you need the most recent kernel with
> all the performance enhancements and new hardware support, and if so,
> are you willing to accept frequent updates and breakage as the bugs are
> fixed?

I hear lots of people like to wait for the .1 release of the LTS for
this sort of reason. It seems a common policy for applications too,
steering clear of .0 releases in favor of waiting for the initial
patch release.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/