Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: PSQL commands: \quit_if, \quit_unless)
Date: 2017-03-24 20:33:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> wrote:

> Hello Corey,
>
> I wished for the same thing, happy to use one if it is made known to me.
>> I pulled that pattern from somewhere else in the code, and given that the
>> max number of args for a command is around 4, I'm not too worried about
>> scaling.
>>

> If there are expressions one day like pgbench, the number of arguments
> becomes arbitrary. Have you looked at PQExpBuffer?

I will look into it.

>>> There seems to be pattern repetition for _ev _ef and _sf _sv. Would it
>>> make sense to create a function instead of keeping the initial
>>> copy-paste?
>>>

>> Yes, and a few things like that, but I wanted this patch to keep as much
>> code as-is as possible.
>>

> If you put the generic function at the same place, one would be more or
> less kept and the other would be just removed?

> "git diff --patience -w" gives a rather convenient output for looking at
> the patch.

Good to know about that option.

As for a function for digested ignored slash options, it seems like I can
disregard the true/false value of the "semicolon" parameter. Is that
correct?

> I would suggest to put together all if-related backslash command, so that
>>> the stack management is all in one function instead of 4.
>>>

>> I recognize the urge to group them together, but would there be any actual
>> code sharing between them? Wouldn't I be either re-checking the string
>> "cmd" again, or otherwise setting an enum that I immediately re-check
>> inside the all_branching_commands() function?
>>

> I do not see that as a significant issue, especially compared to the
> benefit of having the automaton transition management in a single place.

I'm still struggling to see how this would add any clarity to the code
beyond what I can achieve by clustering the
exec_command_(if/elif/else/endif) near one another.