Re: proposal: condition blocks in psql

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: condition blocks in psql
Date: 2015-06-28 20:43:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I implemented \foreach five years ago, and this is not simple to
> implement statement - so don't propose it. I wouldn't to inject full
> scripting language to psql. Then it is better to use bash, perl, python.
>
> But well designed conditional statements needs only few lines for
> implementation, and be good enough for almost all tasks what I need to do
> in psql. More the working with versions needs a different operation than
> comparing strings or comparing numbers, and can be nice if this
> functionality is available with some user friendly syntax.

Yes, I'll read up on that project, and set my foreach dreams aside for the
time being.

even a simple \if var_name, where var_name is judged by the accepted
PostgreSQL string values of TRUE/FALSE, would be immensely useful.

select (version() like '%9.4.1%') as is_941
\gset

\if is_941
\endif
\if is_942