Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-11-01 18:15:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OTOH I've seen a lot of people bitten by [2014-01-01,2014-12-31] on
> TIMESTAMP intervals.

No argument there.

> Everybody remembers december has 31 days, but when we have to do
> MONTHLY partitions if you use closed intervals someone always miskeys
> the number of days, or forgets wheter a particular year is leap or
> not, and when doing it automatically I always have to code it as start
> + 1 month - 1day. In my experience having the non-significant part of
> the dates ( days in monthly case, months too in yearly cases ) both 1
> and equal in start and end makes it easier to check and identify, and
> less error prone.

Being able to define partitions by expressions based on the values I want
would be a good thing.

> You just do the classical ( I've had to do it ) closed end || minimum
> char ( "XYZ","XYZ\0" in this case ). It is not that difficult as
> strings have a global order, the next string to any one is always that
> plus the \0, or whatever your minimum is.

I've thought about doing that in the past, but wasn't sure it would
actually work correctly. If you have experience with it doing so, that
would be encouraging. How does that *look* when you print your partition
layout though?