Copying Permissions

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Copying Permissions
Date: 2016-11-03 14:54:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig's post yesterday about exposing syntax for disabling indexes reminded
me of another feature I think we're lacking in areas where we have to do
table management.

The issue is to create a *something* that has the exact permissions of
another *something*. Usually it's creating a table related to (but not yet
inheriting) a parent, but it could also be to drop and recreate a
*something*, making sure it has the same permissions it had before.

BEGIN;

CREATE VIEW dummy AS SELECT 1::text as dummy;

UPDATE pg_class
SET relacl = ( SELECT relacl FROM pg_class
WHERE oid = 'foo'::regclass)
WHERE oid = 'dummy'::regclass;

DROP VIEW foo;

CREATE VIEW foo AS <insert new view definition here>;

UPDATE pg_class
SET relacl = ( SELECT relacl FROM pg_class
WHERE oid = 'dummy'::regclass)
WHERE oid = 'foo'::regclass;

END;

I suppose I could have learned how to store a relacl as a scalar and just
saved it to a variable, but even then I'd have to twiddle with (and have
the permissions to twiddle with) pg_class.

So it'd be nice to:
ALTER TABLE bar SET PERMISSIONS FROM foo;
or maybe even
GRANT SAME PERMISSIONS ON VIEW bar FROM foo;

Thoughts?