Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Variable substitution in psql backtick expansion
Date: 2017-03-31 11:50:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> single-quoted according to Unix shell conventions. (So the
> processing would be a bit different from what it is for the
> same notation in SQL contexts.)

+1
Having been bit by format '%L' prepending an 'E' to any string that happens
to have a backslash in it, I'm in favor of this difference.

Any reason we wouldn't do :"VARIABLE" as well? People might expect it given
its use elsewhere, and it would make possible things like

SELECT '$HOME/lamentable application name dir/bin/myprog' as myprog \gset
`:"myprog" arg1 arg2`

both for expanding $HOME and keeping the lamentable dir path as one arg.