Re: Release SPI plans for referential integrity with DISCARD ALL

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: yuzuko <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release SPI plans for referential integrity with DISCARD ALL
Date: 2021-01-13 18:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In addition to that, a following case would be solved with this approach:
> When many processes are referencing many tables defined foreign key
> constraints thoroughly, a huge amount of memory will be consumed
> regardless of whether referenced tables are partitioned or not.
>
> Attached the patch. Any thoughts?

Amit Langote has done some great work at eliminating SPI from INSERT/UPDATE
triggers entirely, thus reducing the number of cached plans considerably.

I think he was hoping to have a patch formalized this week, if time allowed.

It doesn't have DELETE triggers in it, so this patch might still have good
value for deletes on a commonly used enumeration table.

However, our efforts might be better focused on eliminating SPI from delete
triggers as well, an admittedly harder task.