Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE

From: Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding SHOW CREATE TABLE
Date: 2023-05-19 20:57:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> I think the ONLY place we should have this is in server side functions.
> More than ten years ago I did some work in this area (see below), but it's
> one of those things that have been on my ever growing personal TODO list
>
> See <https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/retailddl/src/master/>
> <https://bitbucket.org/adunstan/retailddl/src/master/> and
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBarFKOL3SI>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBarFKOL3SI>
>

> Some additional backstory, as this has come up before...

A direction discussion of a previous SHOW CREATE effort:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190705163203.GD24679@fetter.org

Other databases' implementations of SHOW CREATE came up in this discussion
as well:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADkLM=fxfsrHASKk_bY_A4uomJ1Te5MfGgD_rwwQfV8wP68ewg@mail.gmail.com

Clearly, there is customer demand for something like this, and has been for
a long time.