Re: Can't log in to the Wiki

From: Dobes Vandermeer <dobesv(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't log in to the Wiki
Date: 2012-03-30 08:32:13
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:

> On 30 March 2012 09:06, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM, Dobes Vandermeer <dobesv(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >> I cannot log into the wiki on this page:
> >>

> http://wiki.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&returnto=Main_Page
> >>
> >> My username is dobes_vandermeer. The error I get is:
> >>
> >> Login error
> >>
> >> There is no user by the name "dobes_vandermeer". Check your spelling.
> >>

> >> I am able to log into the community page here:
> >>
> >> https://www.postgresql.org/account/
> >
> > It looks like mediaWiki doesn't like underscores in usernames for some
> > reason. I would suggest using dots instead for now until we can figure
> > out a fix.
>
> My account on Wikipedia (i.e. mediawiki) uses an underscore, which
> automatically gets converted to a space, so either it's some plugin
> that does it, or a later version.... or hackery on their part.

Ah I see, a quick google pulled up this hack/patch to get around it:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:LDAP_Authentication/FAQ#Authentication_fails_for_usernames_with_underscores.3B_how_do_I_fix_this.3F

I signed up under a new username without underscores, which is fine. I
could not use the same email address for the new account, though, and
there's no way to change my username or close my account that I could find.
Some possible features to consider for the future.

Cheers,

Dobes