Re: Uber moving towards MySQL

From: Santiago Zarate <santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Uber moving towards MySQL
Date: 2016-07-28 22:18:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> On 07/26/2016 02:57 PM, Santiago Zarate wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > Has anyone read the following article?, i'm personlally inclined to
> > think that some of these problems could have been addressed with enough
> > expertise.
>
> Uber moved to MySQL some time ago. This was, not coincidentally, at the
> same time they got a new CTO.
>
> Note that Uber ran the whole company off a single PostgreSQL cluster for
> years. Given that they switched a couple years back, I'm unclear on the
> reasons for making this post right now.

Intriguing indeed, to my understanding, after reading the blog post, it
looks like they're more interested in just switching rather than trying to
address the problem. Also,as someone mentioned on -general the post started
highly technical and promising, but slowly lost its focus.

> > At our company we may move to PostgreSQL for one of our core products
> > (we use oracle), and a colleague came with this today. While this
> > started a very heated discussion on our side... I wonder, what do you
> > guys think
> >
> > https://eng.uber.com/mysql-migration/
>
> They have some valid points; see the thread on -hackers. I like their
> analysis of the index update issue.
>
> However, note that the article doesn't address any of the shortcomings
> of MySQL as a platform, or why their "schemaless" tool couldn't be
> implemented on top of Postgres, or that they're not just doing MySQL,
> they're doing Cassandra as well, because MySQL isn't enough by itself.
> Particularly, I'll note that they were very concerned about replication
> data corruption in Postgres, but don't talk about that issue at all with
> MySQL.

For me looks like dead ahead they wanted to move (Maybe someone asked a
MySQL guy to do a PG thing, who knows...), but the issues are there... And
while it is a problem that can be addressed, it seems to be creating enough
FUD to make some people consider other options (MySQL was off the table a
month ago here... but is now being considered again due to this... but has
low chances of succeed hopefully lol)

> Databases are full of tradeoffs.
>
> --
> --
> Josh Berkus
> Red Hat OSAS
> (any opinions are my own)

Santiago Zarate
Phone Panama: (+507) 831.2500 / Ext. 8456
Phone Taiwan: (+886) 819.53000 / Ext. 8456
Cell Panama: +507 64271684
Cell Taipei: +886 979 665 114
Skype: sz-smt
http://foursixnine.io
http://twitter.com/foursixnine
http://ve.linkedin.com/in/santiagozarate
santiago(at)zarate(dot)net(dot)ve

“Dreams permit each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane
every night of our lives.” - William Dement