Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2017-03-22 11:23:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 3:44 PM, Pavan Deolasee
<pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> This looks quite weird to me. Obviously these numbers are completely
> non-comparable. Even the time for VACUUM FULL goes up with every run.
>
> May be we can blame it on AWS instance completely, but the pattern in your
> tests looks very similar where the number slowly and steadily keeps going
> up. If you do complete retest but run v18/v19 first and then run master, may
> be we'll see a complete opposite picture?

For those tests I have done tests in the order --- <Master, patch18,
patch18, Master> both the time numbers were same. One different thing
I did was I was deleting the data directory between tests and creating
the database from scratch. Unfortunately the machine I tested this is
not available. I will test same with v19 once I get the machine and
report you back.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mithun C Y