Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.

From: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal : For Auto-Prewarm.
Date: 2017-01-27 06:34:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 8:45 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Just a thought with an additional use case: If I want to set up a
> standby for offloading queries, could I take the dump file from the
> primary or another existing standby, copy it to the new standby, and
> have it be warmed up to the state of the other instance from that?
>
> In my experience, that kind of use is just as interesting as preserving
> the buffers across a restart.

Initially, I did not think about this thanks for asking. For now, we
dump the buffer pool info in the format
<DatabaseId,TableSpaceId,RelationId,Forknum,BlockNum>; If BlockNum in
new standby correspond to the same set of rows as it was with the
server where the dump was produced, I think we can directly use the
dump file in new standby. All we need to do is just drop the ".save"
file in data-directory and preload the library. Buffer pool will be
warmed with blocks mentioned in ".save".

--
Thanks and Regards
Mithun C Y