Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Mithun Cy <mithun(dot)cy(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2017-03-23 18:14:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi Pavan,
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:19 AM, Pavan Deolasee
<pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Ok, no problem. I did some tests on AWS i2.xlarge instance (4 vCPU, 30GB
> RAM, attached SSD) and results are shown below. But I think it is important
> to get independent validation from your side too, just to ensure I am not
> making any mistake in measurement. I've attached naively put together
> scripts which I used to run the benchmark. If you find them useful, please
> adjust the paths and run on your machine.

I did a similar test appears. Your v19 looks fine to me, it does not
cause any regression, On the other hand, I also ran tests reducing
table fillfactor to 80 there I can see a small regression 2-3% in
average when updating col2 and on updating col9 again I do not see any
regression.

--
Thanks and Regards
Mithun C Y