Re: Proposing WITH ITERATIVE

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposing WITH ITERATIVE
Date: 2020-04-29 14:33:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 7:22 AM Peter Eisentraut <
peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Yeah the RECURSIVE vs ITERATIVE is a bit of a red herring here. As you
> say, the RECURSIVE keyword doesn't specify the processing but marks the
> fact that the specification of the query is recursive.

Agreed. I started thinking through Fabien's response last night.

I think a syntax that would fit better within the existing framework
> would be something like
>
> WITH RECURSIVE t AS (
> SELECT base case
> REPLACE ALL -- instead of UNION ALL
> SELECT recursive case
> )

I was originally thinking more along the lines of Fabien's approach, but
this is similarly interesting.

--
Jonah H. Harris