Re: Error on failed COMMIT

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)postgres(dot)rocks>, "Haumacher, Bernhard" <haui(at)haumacher(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Error on failed COMMIT
Date: 2020-02-24 08:26:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> First, to repeat what I said before, the COMMIT only returns a ROLLBACK
command tag if there's been a previous ERROR. So, if you haven't ignored
the prior ERROR, you should be fine. [...]
> I am really struggling to see why this is anything but a bug in the JDBC
driver

As Dave wrote, the problem here isn't with the driver, but with framework
or user-code which swallows the initial exception and allows code to
continue to the commit. Npgsql (and I'm sure the JDBC driver too) does
surface PostgreSQL errors as exceptions, and internally tracks the
transaction status provided in the CommandComplete message. That means
users have the ability - but not the obligation - to know about failed
transactions, and some frameworks or user coding patterns could lead to a
commit being done on a failed transaction.

> So, if you haven't ignored the prior ERROR, you should be fine. Second,
there's nothing to keep the driver itself from translating ROLLBACK into an
exception, if that's more convenient for some particular driver. [...]

This is the main point here IMHO, and I don't think it's a question of
convenience, or of behavior that should vary across drivers.

If we think the current *user-visible* behavior is problematic (commit on
failed transaction completes without throwing), then the only remaining
question is where this behavior should be fixed - at the server or at the
driver. As I wrote above, from the user's perspective it makes no
difference - the change would be identical (and just as breaking) either
way. So while drivers *could* implement the new behavior, what advantages
would that have over doing it at the server? Some disadvantages do seem
clear (repetition of the logic across each driver - leading to
inconsistency across drivers, changing semantics at the driver by turning a
non-error into an exception...).

> Well, it seems quite possible that there are drivers and applications
that don't have this issue; I've never had a problem with this behavior,
and I've been using PostgreSQL for something like two decades [...]

If we are assuming that most user code is already written to avoid
committing on failed transactions (by tracking transaction state etc.),
then making this change at the server wouldn't affect those applications;
the only applications affected would be those that do commit on failed
transactions today, and it could be argued that those are likely to be
broken today (since drivers today don't really expose the rollback in an
accessible/discoverable way).

Shay