Re: Privilege required for IF EXISTS event if the object already exists

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Privilege required for IF EXISTS event if the object already exists
Date: 2021-12-16 16:42:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> As I said before, your position seems reasonable. I've also got a couple
of reasonable complaints about IF EXISTS out there. But there is little
interest in changing the status quo with regards to the promises that IF
EXISTS makes. And even with my less constrained views I find that doing
anything but returning an error to a user that issues CREATE SCHEMA on a
database for which they lack CREATE privileges is of limited benefit.
Would I support a well-written patch that made this the new rule?
Probably. Would I write one or spend time trying to convince others to
write one? No.

Fair enough, thanks.