Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UCT (Re: pgsql: Update time zone data files to tzdata release 2019a.)
Date: 2019-08-01 09:09:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> I'm not sure we're any closer to a meeting of the minds on whether
> consulting zone[1970].tab is a good thing to do, but we got an actual
> user complaint[1] about how "localtime" should not be a preferred
> spelling. So I want to go ahead and insert the discussed anti-preference
> against "localtime" and "posixrules", as per 0001 below. If we do do
> something with zone[1970].tab, we'd still need these special rules,
> so I don't think this is blocking anything.

Just want to stress this point from a PostgreSQL driver maintainer
perspective (see here[1] for the full details). Having "localtime" as the
PostgreSQL timezone basically means that the timezone is completely opaque
from a client point of view - there is no way for clients to know what
actual timezone the server is in, and react to that. This is a limiting
factor in client development, I hope a consensus on this specific point can
be reached.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CADT4RqCCnj6FKLisvT8tTPfTP4azPhhDFJqDF1JfBbOH5w4oyQ@mail.gmail.com