Re: UNLISTEN, DISCARD ALL and readonly standby

From: Shay Rojansky <roji(at)roji(dot)org>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNLISTEN, DISCARD ALL and readonly standby
Date: 2018-10-25 09:01:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for explanation.

> I guess there's an argument to be made that it'd be OK to allow UNLISTEN
> but not LISTEN, but I find that argument fairly fishy. I think issuing
> UNLISTEN to a standby is a likely sign of application misdesign, so I'm
> not convinced we'd be doing anyone any favors by not throwing an error.

I understand the argument. It would definitely be a fix for my specific
problem, and I do think in some application designs it may make sense for
an application to say "UNLISTEN from everything" regardless of whether any
LISTENs were previously issued - this could make things easier as the
application doesn't need to be aware of the backend it's connected to
(master, standby) from the place where UNLISTEN is managed So I don't think
it *necessarily* points to bad application design.

> Can't you skip that step when talking to a read-only session? I think
> you're going to end up writing that code anyway, even if we accepted
> this request, because it'd be a long time before you could count on
> all servers having absorbed the patch.

That possibility was raised, but the problem is how to manage the client's
idea of whether the backend is read-only. If we call pg_is_in_recovery()
every time a connection is returned to the pool, that's a performance
killer. If we cache that information, we miss any state changes that may
happen along the way. I'm open to any suggestions on this though.

Regarding older versions of PostgreSQL, I hoping this is small enough to be
backported to at least active branches. In any case, a workaround already
exists to tell Npgsql to not reset connection state at all when returning
to the pool. This is what I'm recommending to the affected user in the
meantime.